Monday, March 31, 2014

Range electricity


After talking to Mr. Sparky I decided to pull the new 4 conductor range supply line myself.  The main issue in running a new line is getting into the breaker box.   I asked him about adding a new conduit and he said that was "nearly impossible".   I'm not sure if I took that as a challenge or not, but that is what I decided to try to do. It looked like I could just enlarge a hole already in the crawl space and punch out a breaker box access hole. It really went smoothly but I did need a second person to help guide the conduit into place and get the nut on. Hardly impossible.  Took about an hour.


Cost of the wire, outlet, and conduit was about $70.   Mr. Sparky's quote to run the new line was $835.  So we saved about $765.   To be fair to Mr. Sparky, they do not look for the easiest way to do something.  They just pull numbers from a book for what this or that will cost.  Now lets just hope the oven works =).

No comments:

Post a Comment