Monday, February 10, 2014

Shaker with applied molding

I really like the clean simple lines of the shaker doors but I wanted to "make then mine" so to speak.  So I decided on two different design changes I was going to make on our doors and drawer fronts.  


1) Add a beaded a molding to the inside edge of the frame like this door I found at WalzCraft. The wood and color are not what we want, but the look is.  The router bit is a Freud 80-122 with a 1/8in radius. The router bit was $23 from amazon.

2) Use a bridal joint on the shaker frames. I really like to look of this type of mortise and tenon joint and it can built using only a table saw (and jig).  

A 14x24 Alder shaker door from BarkerDoor without the design changes is $36.90.  Wood for same size door is estimated to cost $11.70.   Design changes could easily add $5-10 per door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment